Bitlocker is built into Windows Professional and Enterprise, if you're using Windows Home you will need to upgrade to use Bitlocker. It's strongley recommended your computer has a TPM chip too, so we'd recommend checking this first.
To check if you have a TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chip...
- On your keyboard press the Windows key + X
- From the menu which pops up select 'Device Manager'
- In the Device Manager window expand 'Security Devices'
- One of the devices should say 'Trusted Platform Module' as pictured, you need version 1.2 or later.
To enable Bitlocker follow these steps..
- Open the Windows Settings (Press the Windows + X then choose 'Settings'
- In the search bar search for Bitlocker and choose 'Manage Bitlocker'
- Choose 'Turn on Bitlocker' and follow the instructions - it's really important you save your recovery key somewhere other than the computer you're enabling bitlocker on, without this key you will not be able to unencrypt your hard-drive!